Worship Leaders - Blind Spots?

Worship Leader Magazine, January/February 2014 edition, www.worshipleader.com

I subscribe to the Worship Leader Magazine. It is published in America, but I am grateful to receive a copy of it here in the UK through annual subscription. It is fantastic that there are resources out there, on our side, for us – the worship leader. As such many of the articles are very helpful and cause me to think more deeply about what it means to be a ‘Worship Leader’ as well as a church worker more broadly. However, it does not stop there, recognising that church work is more than ‘just a job’ but involves our whole beings and so also looks more deeply at issues on a personal level that affect personal discipleship.

On this note, I came across a great article in the January/February 2014 issue called ‘Blind Spots: Facing The Truth About You’ by Rory Noland. Rory is, for lack of a better title, the ‘agony aunt’ of the magazine. People write in and he responds with insightful and biblical advice.

This issue, Rory responds to a worship leader who has identified a flaw in his leadership style in that they have come to realise they are very controlling and find it hard to trust others. In Rory’s response he bullet points some very useful questions that I believe are valuable for all worship leaders (and indeed any leaders) to sit down and really give consideration to. Here they are:

·        In what ways do I come across positively to others?
·        In what ways do I come across negatively?
·        What do I need to do or stop doing to be a better leader?
·        Is there anything about my personality that, if I’m not careful, could turn people off?
·        What is it about me that needs to change if I’m to be the person God wants me to be?

I am building these questions into my quiet times with the Lord, as well as asking my accountability partner to help me explore and work through. I believe some of the answers will come quite quickly, while others will take time and a process for me to go through to arrive at the true answers.

Maybe you can use these too? It will not only help you become a better follower of Christ but also a better leader in His church.


If these questions have been helpful to you I would love to hear about it. Leave a comment in the ‘comments’ section below. Thanks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snot and Tears

Are You a F.A.T Leader?

Worship Setlist for the New Year