Integrity & Authenticity: Masks and Makeup



(originally written for and posted on www.TheChurchCollective.com)

As Christian leaders it is vitally important that we live the lives we preach. I am starting a blog series where together we will look at, explore and discuss the importance and role of integrity and authenticity in the life of a Worship Leader. The more thought I have given to this topic the more I have realised we are looking at personal discipleship. Being people who are busy and concerned with the lives of others we can all too easily forget that we too should be living a life of discipleship; a life of submission to God and His Word.

Having a platform ministry can often lead to Worship Leaders living double-lives. Somehow the effect of standing up in front of the church and being a recognised ‘leader’ can put some unhealthy pressures on us. One of these is the pressure to live the perfect life. Or perhaps more accurately it is the pressure to appear to be living the perfect life.

How many times have you put on your game-face just before you stood up to lead worship or to take a rehearsal? How many times have you been struggling with things inside yet felt that somehow you were not supposed to be struggling, so you put on your ‘everything is ok’ mask? Charlie Chaplain’s song ‘Smile’ (which Michael Jackson did a cover of) starts:

 “Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though it’s breaking
When there are clouds in the sky you’ll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow . . .”

Charlie Chaplain and I suppose Michael Jackson too knew a lot about how to put on their mask and makeup, to appear as if everything in life was fine whilst it was actually broken.

As well as telling the truth, part of living the Christian life demands that we also live truthfully:

“Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God – this is your true and proper worship.” (Romans 12:1)

“Open up your lives. Live openly and expansively!” (2 Corinthians 6:13 – The Message)

This means that even though we are up on the platform, in front of the congregation and are a recognised leader in the church, we still need to live our lives openly. It is time to take off your mask, to wipe away your makeup and get real with the team that you lead as well as with the congregation you serve.

When things in your life are broken, yes be sensitive how you share this and be discerning who you share it with, but share it! If you are going through a rough patch in life, don’t be afraid to admit it.

An example from my life is some years ago I had to re-apply for my visa to remain and work in the UK. After escaping the tyranny in my home country of Zimbabwe, I had no desire to go back. I had a good job in the UK, I was beginning a relationship with a lovely Christian girl (who is now my wife), exciting things were starting to happen in the church where I was serving and leading. So I applied for my visa – and it was denied! I was in pieces, yet I was leading worship that Sunday. So with a heavy heart I went to church to worship God in the bad times as well as in the good. I did not hold back. I explained what had happened to the leaders, and then the church. Through the tears I led worship and God moved in – not just in my life, but in so many others in the congregation too. Actually demonstrating openness and worship in the midst of the storm really helped the worship life of others develop too.

What happened to the visa I hear you ask – I had filled in the old version of the form, so after filling in the new version my request was quickly approved! Praise God!

So where to begin? We need to first be open and honest with God, opening up our whole life to Him in complete transparency. If we are honest with God, we can then learn to be honest with one another. We must try not to put sections of our lives into separate boxes and only let God into specially selected ones. We forget that God can look into all the boxes, and indeed He does. He knows us completely, yet He still loves us. So becoming more transparent with Him will lead us to becoming more able to open up to those around us.

Do not be afraid to wipe off the makeup. Don’t use this as a chance to grumble or complain, but be honest when you are struggling. Take off your mask and begin to be vulnerable with God and with those you lead and you will find that not only will your relationship with them deepen, their Christian walk will benefit too as they follow your example.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snot and Tears

Are You a F.A.T Leader?

Worship Setlist for the New Year