Images in Worship

Yesterday was interesting. I was caused to consider the images we use as part of our worship.

I am all for using images to help us engage with God. Historically, stained glass windows used visual imagery (and still do) to cause the spirit to focus on heavenly things. These days there is atmospheric projection or the more humble multimedia projector that displays images behind the lyrics to the worship songs being sung.

At our church we are also exploring other, more ancient forms of worship such as the spiritual disciplines and Taize. Part of this involves the use of objects or images to help us focus beyond the image to the spiritual truth that lies beyond it.

The point I am trying to make is - I get it!

I understand how images can be used to point us towards God, that they can say a thousand words and give us food for thought.

So it took me a bit by surprise when a couple from my church spoke to me and some of the elders after the service yesterday to take issue with one of the images we projected behind one of the songs we had just sung.

Part of the song spoke about lifting up our hands as we sing, so I used an image of an artists manekin (above) with its hands raised (not the actual picture above). I thought it was fine: the photo was a bit arty and symbolised some of the song lyrics. However, the issue was about the fact that it is a 'puppet' and that we are not puppets when we worship or live for God. Puppets imply a lack of control, an absence of our will, that God manipulates, that we are passive helpless participants.

I had not seen it like this before. It is quite encouraging that people are actually engaging and thinking deeply about the images we do use.


  • Do you use images at church?
  • How much thought do you give them?
  • If some take issue with them, would you be willing to change?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snot and Tears

Are You a F.A.T Leader?

Worship Setlist for the New Year