the C word


Ony having been diagnosed with cancer just over a week ago, I have been extremely blessed by all the encouragement and support I have received from family and friends all over the world. I really do appreciate and value it.

However, I have encountered a rather strange response from a couple of people. This response often omits the mention of my disease at all or is referred to in hushed tones as 'the C word'. It is almost as if they fear to speak its name. It's like referring to Voldemort in the Harry Potter stories as 'You know who' because if you say his name aloud, the embodiment of all evil would find you!


It is actually quite telling. It is no surprise that cancer can strike fear into ones heart. Facing death, and something that can bring it, can be quite a scary thing. So I completely understand the natural response to either hide from it or try to refuse to acknowledge it's presence. This is a natural response to something that causes us to be afraid.

However, for me living through this situation, I am uncannily not as afraid of death as I thought I would be. I have faith in One who is greater than I, and indeed greater than cancer! Jesus has brought me to a place of peace and safety. I still have to walk through this chapter of my life but I don't need to be afraid whilst doing it. This is not to say I am ignoring death. I fully acknowledge that it could happen and if it does God is still in control. I have nothing to fear. What Jesus has asked me to do is to rest and drink deeply of His Spirit. As I rest in Him, He will fight for me.
'The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.’ - Exodus 14:14

'do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.' - Isaiah 41:10
I am a little afraid of the unknown possibilities of my treatment. Mostly I am sad. Sad of the possibility that death will separate me from those I love most dearly. I want to see my young children grow. To see them lose their first tooth. Their first day at school. To walk them down the isle. I am sad that I still have hopes and dreams that may never be realised. But as a child of God I am not afraid of death. I am not afraid of the enemy who seeks to kill and destroy. I am not afraid of cancer. All I am asked to do is dig deeper into Jesus. He will uphold me. He will sustain me. He will protect and heal me. All I need to do is rest.

#2miraclesinthemaking

Comments

  1. We are thinking and praying for you Matt... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Miracles .. Should b a daily occurrence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful said Matt , yes I fully get this the sadness of what you might not get to experience and the awkwardness of the cancer word it's not easy to broach the subject from the outside looking in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite agree. It is not easy, but we all need to be brave at times like this. In my case l hope this gives others the courage to broach the subject with me. It's just much better that way.

      Delete
  4. I have written three long responses to your blog Matt and I have deleted them . I still cannot find the right words to say! I so admire your courage and faith and I totally understand your sadness. Your honesty and willingness to be open and share your experience as it unfolds will undoubtedly help other sufferers and their family and friends to move forward and cope with at least less fear if not no fear. You know so many people are thinking about you and have you and your lovely family in their prayers- the strength of prayer is great- God bless xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Romayne. It is my hope that my experience can be used to bring comfort, hope and healing to others. After all, that is what Jesus has sent me here to do.

      Delete
  5. You have expressed this so well Matt. Having some small idea of what you are going through just know that our prayers are with you all, and Jack and I will hold up your arms, Moses style, as long as is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what you have said and I admire your faith, I wish I was as strong as you in my faith. We are all sad for you too but we will all pray for you, your family and the journey you face. So much love to you Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know just where you are coming from Matt it was the same with me even now I don't talk about my cancer and the fact it is going to take me at some time but like you I am not afraid, in 2012 I was given 3 years to live and then it went up to 5 years and so far I am so well I feel a fraud, it is a waiting game to see if it will be the lungs that take me or the breast only god knows.
    You are a true child of god and you have much to do in his service that I pray he will keep you close to him so he can protect you....Satan cannot get you
    I pray that you find peace and feel loved by your church family and I also pray Verity can manage to keep calm
    Much love to you both xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really moved to read these words Matt. You are so valued in our church for all you give as a person as well as your gifted ministry as a worship leader and speaker. We' re very privileged to have you as a friend. We want to stand with you in this trial and declare 'God is big, Satan is small; and 'Nothing can separate us from God '. Even if we have faith as small as a mustard seed, God can use that faith to move mountains. Stand back and watch those mountains shift!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've just had a staff meeting to hear the latest news, Matt. My thought and prayers will be constantly with you. It seems that the medical people have got onto this quickly, and, along with others I hope and pray that this horrible cancer will soon be beaten. If you ever need another 'virtual ear', I am always at the end of my keyboard. x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always love reading the comments and thoughts of others. Please leave your comment in the section below. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Snot and Tears

Are You a F.A.T Leader?

Worship Setlist for the New Year