Chemotherapy 1


The Adventure continues!

Yesterday was my first session of six chemotherapies. Each session is going to be separated by 3 week intervals (and this is if everything goes well).

Being my first one, I had to be in all day as they spaced things out and gave it to me slowly so that they can monitor everything and watch for any bad reactions. My day bag was packed with pre-loaded BBC programmes on the iplayer, the new Kingsgate worship album my sister had given me the day before was on my ipod. I also took a couple of books and a puzzler - as it turned out, this was way over ambitious and I was really only in the mood to watch TV and listen to music. At least I will know for next time.



Things didn't get off to a good start! A slight problem with my first cannula lead to a fainting spell so I had to wait for 30 minutes with legs up and a fan blowing before trying again. The second cannula went in ok, but then as soon as the saline came through - another fainting spell! After that they gave me some meds to calm me down. It was strange - in my head I was calm and fine with everything but obviously my body had other ideas! It was in no mood to listen to my brain, no matter how many times I tried to calm down. In the end I just ended up praying and that seemed to work.

It was at this point when one of the other patients ran into a problem and started screaming. She was experiencing back pain - a side effect of one of her medications. Various nurses and doctors came in and soon had her sorted. But this did not do too much to help calm me down, that's for sure!

So first of all they give you all sorts of medicines to prepare your body for the chemotherapy. Pre-emptive things to counteract side effects. Then a few hours later they begin the chemo. There are various types of chemo - I am having what is called R-CHOP. A combination of medicines designed to target and kill fast multiplying cells. The hope is this will shrink the tumors and bring then under control. No operations or cutting out lumps (which would be a bit tricky seeing as mine are all in the lymph system that runs throughout the body and is a vital part of the immune system). The Chemo medicines are light sensitive so they are hung up on the drip pole, covered by dark plastic bags. It does look rather strange. I also had to have some 'pushed' in at various intervals by syringe. One was bright red and this one makes your urine turn bright red too for a while! Quite amusing.

The rest of my treatment went without incident. It lasted 7 and 1/2 hours in total.

I was then sent home with 2 carrier bags full with medications to take, mostly pills but some self-injecting syringes too. I am having to work out a system to help me manage all  of them, the times of day they need to be taken along with whether they need to be taken before or after food.

The nurses and volunteers in the Macmillan Ward at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital are so friendly and kind. It really is a pleasure going there. You do feel you are in safe hands and that everyone has your best interests at heart. Frequent rounds of tea, coffee and biscuits are delivered to your chair and a choice of sandwiches at lunchtime.

Going home was a struggle! My body apparently does not cope well with moving vehicles after chemo. In the car on the way back I felt nauseous and sick and in the end I couldn't hold on any more. Lucking Mum had come prepared with a sick bag so things didn't get too messy. When we got home I was then able to take some anti-sickness pills that have helped to get the nausea under control.

I slept well last night and am not feeling too bad this morning.

Thank you all for your continued support and prayers during this time. I can't tell you how much it means to me.

#2miraclesinthemaking

Comments

  1. I am so pleased you got through your first session, it really opens your eyes up to see how many people are going through the same thing. I was always fine after my chemo but it was the day after when it hit me. Remember to take those sickness pills even if you feel well, as I left them off as I did not feel sick and while I was at work it suddenly hit me and I had to rush to the toilets and didn't make the loo (very embarrassing) as there was a child sitting in the crush hall.
    Now you take it easy and let those drugs do their thing don't try to do too much as your body wont let you. I keep my fingers crossed and continue to pray for a great outcome
    And remember what God promised to Abraham,
    "I will surely bless you and give you many descendants"
    Hebrews 6 14
    God Bless you and Verity in this time. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. You're right there are so many others also going through it (although I seem to lower the average age by quite a few years)!

      Delete
  2. Matt, I am so sorry that you are going through chemo. We are praying for you, for your healing and strength. Sending lots and love and hugs from Zimbabwe. Love Leonie Wilde

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you bro. Thanks for sharing this journey with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your Blog Matt, hang on in there. I have had three primary cancers in the past 15 months, God has walked every step of the way with me, through surgeries and chemo. Never a club you want to join but once you are there you will find so many people ready to support you. God is the good Father and he will give you peace. It is a tough road to walk ... but many have walked before you and come through the fire. I am new to blogging but am trying to focus on the positive! http://cancersurvivorwithagratefulheart.blogspot.co.uk/ if you are interested. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you and your dear family daily Matt. Wish we lived closer to support you with meals, and in person love and caring. Grant

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always love reading the comments and thoughts of others. Please leave your comment in the section below. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Snot and Tears

Are You a F.A.T Leader?

Worship Setlist for the New Year