Maintenance Treatment 2

Canula needle

On Friday I was back at the Queen Elizabeth hospital in King's Lynn for my second maintenance treatment. As my daughter had been born there just a couple of days before, and as I have been there for regular chemo treatments through the year, I have this strange feeling of being at home!

It did not seem like it was two months since my last maintenance treatment, but it was. At Tuesday's clinic my consultant was pleased with my progress. He also mentioned that from looking at my weight chart he saw that I had had a good Christmas! I have put on weight, and did so throughout my chemotherapy.

For six months before my diagnosis I had been on a diet and had lost 2 stone! But during chemo I felt I had enough on my plate without having to worry about my weight too, so I let it slide. Now that I'm healthy again I really do need to start the diet again to try to get back to where I was before the chemo, if only to be able to fit in the new clothes I had just bought before it all happened!

Anyway, this session of maintenance treatment was interesting. The nurses were excited to see photos on my phone of Lara, my new daughter, and were so pleased that I was able to be there and that cancer had not got the better of me. However there was trouble with the canula!

I have a reputation amongst the chemo nurses of being a fainter when they put the canula in. So we tried my right hand (the one that copes better). The first nurse tried twice with two different canulas without success. Then a second nurse had a go. Again no joy. By this time they said I was going a funny colour so out came the fan. My chair got swung back and two more nurses came and held my legs up over their shoulders - what a sight!

Another nurse came along and after a little while she tried to put it in my left hand. This time it went in! Hurray. I didn't actually faint, but I have ended up with the back of my hands feeling like a pin cushion.

The rest of the treatment went fine. I'm so glad I have discovered the hospital has free wi-fi in the treatment room . It meant I could watch the BBC iPlayer and catch up on some episodes of Silent Witness.

As happened last time, the treatment made me feel very drowsy. But that's all. The next day I was up and about and leading a 'Digital Disciples' workshop for my local Wisbech Churches Together.

I start back at work on a phased return next week. I will update you on my progress with that too, so stay tuned and keep reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snot and Tears

Are You a F.A.T Leader?

Worship Setlist for the New Year