Sunday Setlist - 20 May 2012



Theme: 'In Christ' sermon series

Setlist:
1. I believe the promise - Hillsong
2. More love more power - Jude Del Hierro
3. What a friend I've found (chorus only + additional words) - Martin Smith
4. Jesus All for Jesus - Robin Mark
5. Still - Reuben Morgan [Hillsong]
6. (Solo) Lord I need You - Jesse Reeves, Matt Maher et. al.

So . . . today I had a plan. I thought it would be great. But . . .oh how wrong I was!

Today was one of those days when everything that could go wrong, went wrong, all at once! We were unable to rehearse this week due to a variety of reasons, so I guess it was going to be 'seat of the pants' winging it session anyway. However we have done this sort of thing before, and we had a practise of the less familiar songs before the service started so I thought everything was fine. Well they were - until they weren't.

We got started - I personally find the first song 'I Believe the Promise' quite a challenge to play in places and its still unfamiliar to the congregation as we only introduced it a couple of weeks ago. So this felt a little stilted and engagement was a bit slow.  Second song my bass player and I started playing in different keys, so I stopped, made a joke and started it again. Then half way through the song I broke a string on my guitar and it went completely out of tune. The band were brilliant and continued through to the end despite me having to drop out. Then we had a pause for the notices while I restrung as quickly as possible. There were also a few communication problems between me and the band, so from my point of view - today was tough!

However, a I often find at the end of worship sessions like this, even though I was struggling, God was not! God was in complete control and was moving and working in people's hearts and lives despite everything going wrong on the platform. It's amazing how I seem to get more people coming and telling me how God had touched them during the worship when God had forced me to let go of it a little bit more than usual - and usually by things not going according to my plans.

One of the highlights for me however, was singing my first duet with my wife on the platform for 'Lord I Need You' after the sermon. Special in that I was doing it with her but also because I am exploring using more contemplation and stillness in the worship service (see older blog: Rediscovering Silence in Worship). We never have a solo number, but today we did and it gave some opportunity the space and time to reflect. So we broke new ground there and it worked well. One to remember for the future!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snot and Tears

Are You a F.A.T Leader?

Worship Setlist for the New Year