'The Me I Want To Be' - part 3


This blog is the third of a series I am writing about 'The Be I Want To Be' by John Ortberg - a book I am currently reading. It is having an impact on my life and these blogs are a way of sharing this with you. I have finished reading the third section entitled 'Renewing My Mind' and these are some of the things I have learnt, thought about and applied (or am currently trying to apply) in my life. If you have only just joined me on this journey at this point, it may be helpful to look in the archive to read the previous parts so that this third installment will make a little bit more sense to you, rather than being purely some discombobulated ramblings from a random bloke! If you like what you read - please comment or better still subscribe to the blog so you don't miss out on any future installments! Thanks for reading.

Part Three - Renewing My Mind

 
I must admit, my mind is one of those places I sometimes fear to tread. It can be a source of such great joy and freedom but can also contain hidden corners of darkness and ugliness I'd rather avoid.

Desire often leads us (and particularly me I feel) into sin. Ortberg suggests that rather than doing away with our desires altogether, we should 'try softer' (see previous blogs) and allow our naturally God-given in-built desires to lead us back to God. A change of direction - certainly! But not an erradication of desire, of some part of us God pre-ordained and built into who we are, who he has made us to be! We are invited to 'taste and see that the Lord is good'. "Uncorrupted by sin, desire is fabulous - fabulous because it is part of God's design" (Ortberg, p.82).

Personally I am glad that desire can be a good thing - I'm full of them! However, I know I must consciously choose to say 'No' to any desires that keep me out of the flow ot the Spirit. But I'm glad desire in and of itself can be turned towards God.

Of the 'four flavours' of desire that Ortberg mentions, I lean more strongly towards physical and achievement desires. Although the other categories mentioned also register on my desire-o-meter they are not as strong as physical or achievement.
  • What is your desire 'flavour'? (Comments welcome below)
The way we live reflects the way we think. True change always begins in the mind. So then, it makes sense to place a guard over our thoughs - to actively monitor what we are thinking about. Ortberg urges us to ask some important questions about the thoughts we dwell on: Where do these thoughts lead? Do they lead to God? Towards life? Towards God's best version of me? Or do they lead in the other direction?

I recognise within myself that my mind is quite literally a mine-field. It is a major battle ground and I quite often get tired with the battle and allow all sorts of thoughts to run riot! This is not going to lead me towards God's best version of me, the me I want to be.

It is freeing to learn that I can still be feeding my mind with good things even if I am not reading the Bible. If what I am enjoying or thinking about is good, honest, true, admirable, excellent or praiseworthy - 'whatever is lovely' - these thoughts can also connect me to the flow of the Spirit. So when I watched the paralympic games on TV last week and my heart rejoiced as I witnessed people overcome personal, physical and emotional challenges to compete and succeed, I was in the flow of the Spirit just then! However, I also agree with Ortberg that although it is possible to feed our minds on every good thing, the Bible is the best thing! And Ortberg gives a variety of useful and practical Bible reading tips in the book.
  • How do you read the Bible?
  • What are your Bible reading tips that you can give below in the comments section?
I really enjoyed how Ortberg deals with stress and worry here: "The Spirit is a non-anxious presence", he says, "Peace doesn't come from finding a lake with no storms. It comes from having Jesus in the boat." Indeed, "It is God's presence - not comfortable circumstances - that brings people to the best version of themselves." (Ortberg, p.116)

I find worry and stress is an ever present companion in my place of work. I find I quite often get caught up in the flurries of anxiety that get stirred up amongst my colleagues from time to time. I now know I need to make a choice in those moments - when I feel fear or worry creeping up on me, or when I see it in others - to be calm in the storm. To ask Jesus to be in the boat. To help still the situation rather than joining in.
  • What makes you worried or stressed?
  • How do you deal with it?
  • Does it lead you towards life? Towards God? Or not? (join in the discussion and share your thoughts below in the comments section - I'd love to hear from you).

Prayer

Lord help me to be more pro-active in monitoring my thought life. To throw out the bad thoughts and dwell and delight in the good life-giving thoughts. Jesus, help me to look to you in times of stress and worry. I know I am safe when you are in the boat with me. Jesus, come and be in my boat - not in the back seat, but in the driver's seat! I want to follow you as you lead, I want to try softer and allow you to work and move in me and through me. Only you have the power to change me God. Help me to change my mind. Help me to think great thoughts!

"Those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires" (Romans 8:5)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snot and Tears

Are You a F.A.T Leader?

Worship Setlist for the New Year