'The Me I Want To Be' - part 4


Having started back at work I have been incredibly busy. I've managed to squeeze a few blogs in centred on other topics, but finding the space and time to simply sit, read and think just hasn't happened - until now. Aren't holidays great? A vital time to relax, unwind and re-commect with your loved ones. my one-week holiday has seen me tackling the next few parts of John Ortberg's book 'The Me I Want To Be'. I've been really enjoying reading, thinking about and blogging about this book over the last few months (see previous blogs) and trying to live a less complicated and more real and authentic life that is full of God. This next part of the book continues on that trend of being enlightening and very freeing. Here are some of my thoughts about Part Four . . .

Part Four - Redeeming My Time

Prayer

Ortberg tries to demystify the whole concept of prayer and encourages us that prayer is not some high and lofty activity that only the super-spiritual can engage in. Nor is it a superficial shopping list of our wants and desires. He reminds us that God is an ever-present listener to every conversation. We need to be mindful of His presence, then we can turn every converstaion, every waking moment into prayer: a continual dialogue bewteen us and the Father. Ortberg also eoncourages us to be real with our prayers. Talk to God about your real problems and real desires. 'Do life' in your prayer life. "I don't try to sound more spiritual than I am. I don't pray what ought to be in me. I pray what's really in me . . . As long as we have unresolved problems, unfulfilled desires, and a mustard seed of faith, we have all we need for a vibrant prayer life" (p.136).
 

Signature Sin

Another point I appreciated is that as we are all human, we are all tempted. However, we are created differently from each other so our 'signature sins' are unique to each of us. Understanding our gifts will help us to understand our sins that we are most prone to. Reading the various categories Ortberg mentions I feel I most fit in the 'Achiever' category whose strengths unclude a strong desire to grow and an ability to accomplish things and the desire to add value in the lives and world around them. But weaknesses include the temptation to be preoccupied with one's own success and sometimes using of others to receive applause or approval. (Why don't you read the book to see which main category describes you and your potential signature sins best?). "Real freedom is not the external freedom to gratify every appetite; it is the internal freedom not to be enslaved by our appetites" (p.140).
 

Repentance

When the warning bells sound because of our sin, don't ignore the signs. We shold be greatful for the gift of conviction as it leads us to repentance (turning away from our sin) and accepting God's glorious forgiveness and grace. "Guilt may be an important stop on the journey, but it is never meant as the end of the line . . . Repenting is a gift God gives us for our own sake, not His. repenting does not increase God's desire to be with us. It increases our capacity to be with Him" (p.164).
 

Accountability

Ortberg throughout the book encourages us to find a trusted friend to share life with. To talk to about our deep desires, to share our hidden sins, to be the real person who God has made us to be - warts and all. In open, honest relationships like these we help each other to move a little closer to the 'me' God created us to be - the me we want to be. I must admit this is one thing I am personally going to start praying about as I need a friend like this in my life too.
 

Questions for you to consider

  • What does prayer look like to you?
  • Do you want to pray or do you feel like you have to pray?
  • What are your weak spots when it comes to sin?
  • Have you asked God how you could go about making these weak spots into strengths?
  • Do you find it easy or difficult to forgive others?
  • Do you find it easy or difficult to receive forgiveness for yourself?
  • Have you got a trusted friend who you can be open and honest with?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snot and Tears

Are You a F.A.T Leader?

Worship Setlist for the New Year