Can a vocalist be a 'proper' worship leader?


Yesterday, one of my worship leader friends put a post on facebook that has caused quite a stir, and received a lot of response. She is an excellent worship leader who works for a growing and 'on fire' church. However, early in her taking on the role, some people told her that: 'You can't be a proper worship leader because you don't play an instrument'.

So my question to you all is, can a vocalist be a 'proper' worship leader?

From my point of view, I think that there is no distinction between someone who plays and instrument and someone who does not. Leading worship is a heart-thing. I would agree that musical gifting is important and useful, although this gifting does not necessarily need to be expressed through playing an instrument. A vocalist can still lead a band. It would help if they can speak the 'language' musicians use to help communicate what they are doing but I don't hink this should necessarily disqualify someone from being a worship leader.

As I have lead worship myself for many years, I have learnt that 70% of the job is more about leading people than it is about leading music. It's a heart-thing and it's a people-thing. Music plays its part, but it's not the main thing.

  • What do you think?

Comments

  1. the sole qualifications for the role of worship leader are in the title- can they worship and can they lead?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always love reading the comments and thoughts of others. Please leave your comment in the section below. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Snot and Tears

Are You a F.A.T Leader?

Worship Setlist for the New Year