The Just Church - The Failure Point


Some books I have tried to read don't grab me. I struggle through the introduction and then it ends up back on the shelf. However, this is not the case with 'The Just Church' by Jim Martin. I can see it becoming one of those can't-put-it-down books the more I read it.

So I have just completed the first chapter entlitled 'The Failure Point'. As well as telling a moving story about an IJM field worker (I won't tell you what happened here - you have got to read it for yoursefl!) the point that faliure is an important part of growth was emphasised. As a teacher and educator (my day job), I often console pupils who are struggling and who are afraid to make mistakes. Educators know that we often learn more through our mistakes. However, reading about this in the context of justice ministry and church work in general surprised me. I guess I know the theory, but am still a bit uncomfortable about the reality. Accepting that mistakes will be made, that failure is improtant because it will make you stronger and teach you more is actually quite a challenging and scary prospect.

At least this book is being realistic and honest. Yes, the church must engage in issues of social justice! Yes, there will be failures! We need to learn to embrace these in order to grow and learn from them.

Another great feature of this book are the QR Codes that you scan with your smartphone. This takes you to a video online where the author chats about that particular chapter. But you are going to have to get the book to access these!

I'll be back with Chatper 2 after I have read it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snot and Tears

Are You a F.A.T Leader?

Worship Setlist for the New Year