Trust in Trouble


I will take this opportunity to give you all an update on my condition and the happenings of this week as well as a thought I have been pondering.

My week began with me being very pleased I had been let out of hospital on Saturday after spending a few days in there for an infection. I was still quite fragile on Sunday and very low on energy so I did not go to church. I managed to type a few reports (still got these to do for school before term ends!).



Monday evening and into early Tuesday morning had me waking up in quite a lot of pain. In fact I could not move and had to ask Verity to fetch the paracetamol. I had been given a course of 3 injections that I had just completed on Monday evening that were to stimulate my bone marrow to start producing white blood cells again. One side effect is pain in the bones, especially in the hips, lower back and thighs. I survived on pain killers for the rest of Tuesday. Luckily the course of injections had finished so the pain subsided and I was OK for the rest of the week. But the bad news is, I will have to have these injections after every course of chemo now. Oh well!

My gut has been up and down too. Swinging from one extreme consistency to another - again side effects of various medications. I am almost on top of it today you will be pleased to know.

I am also finishing a course of anti-viral pills that started in hospital. The thing is I need to take these 5 times a day. So I have an alarm set up on my tablet that rings at various times, including midnight and 5:30am! Each time it rings I take a pill. I feel like I am becoming one of Pavlov's dogs! But if I didn't have the alarm, there is no way I would remember to take them.

I have also had bouts of nausea that come and go. This coupled with my wife being in the first trimester of pregnancy often see both of us lying on the sofa feeling sick together. How romantic!

One thing I have been thinking about this week is that of trust. Whilst thinking about it I have come across various passages in the Bible that have given fuel to my thinking.

With so much instability in the world - what do you trust in? Can you trust in anything at all?

We have the instability of politics - just look at the EU Referendum.

We have the uncertainty of health - I got cancer very unexpectedly, I thought I was quite a healthy guy!

We also find it difficult to trust due to pain and suffering, especially when trust has been broken we find it more challenging to trust again. However, if our relationships are to succeed, we need to find a way to make the decision to trust again in order for restoration and forgiveness to be released and our relationships to heal and grow.

The thing is, we live in a broken and fallen world. Things are not the way they were supposed to be. People are not what they were created to be - full of sin, pride, envy, etc. If we put our trust in a person or in a thing (such as a political system, a financial institution etc) we will be let down. Things will get shaken and unexpected things like a sudden diagnosis of cancer will happen. The question changes to how will you respond?

When things start to shake and fall. When trouble come knocking on your door. Where do you turn? Who do you trust? Do you close your eyes and hold on tight to the edges of the roller-coaster you suddenly find yourself on and hope for the best? Or do you have a confidence and an inner peace that things will be alright because you know someone who is greater than you and greater than the problem is in control and has your best interest at heart?

When trouble comes knocking at your door, where do you turn? [Click to Tweet]

If your trust is placed on something or someone who is apart from this world - in God - He is removed from the broken reality of mistakes and hardship. Yes, He feels our suffering and understands our hurting. But He is removed from the sin of the world. He is not broken. He is not going to let you down.

God is not broken! He is not going to let you down! [Click to Tweet]
Psalm 118:8
It is better to take refuge in the Lord
    than to trust in people
I know God won't let me down because I know God. I know Him well enough that I can trust Him completely. I know him well enough to know that I can put my life in His hands and I am safe there - no matter what happens.

Proverbs 3:5-6 
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
In God I Trust!


#2miraclesinthemaking


Comments

  1. I am so pleased you have had a better week.
    You are so right TRUST is a very big thing to have. I trust in one person and one person only GOD. /everything is in his hands he knew we were going to get cancer and he knew we would stay strong throughout the treatment and HE put our minds at peace. Only God knows what the future hold for all of us.

    Psalm 56 V3-4

    When I am afraid
    I will trust in you
    In God whose word I praise
    In God I trust, I will not be afraid.

    I pray for your continuous healing and hope to see you back at church soon.
    God Bless xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always love reading the comments and thoughts of others. Please leave your comment in the section below. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Snot and Tears

Are You a F.A.T Leader?

Worship Setlist for the New Year