Haircuts and Baby-bumps


Since my last Chemotherapy treatment in October I have had the good news that I am now in remission. I have undergone my first 'maintenance' treatment which went very well and I am now on the road to recovery, looking to start back at work again near the end of January on a phased return.

My hair has been growing back and yesterday I had my first haircut since April! The hair on the top of my head was already thinning before my diagnosis and it grows much slower than the rest so I needed the sides and the back to be trimmed as it was starting to look a bit funny being longer than the top. As I recover it's the small things, like having a haircut, that are pretty big landmarks along the journey.

My schedule has been filling up too. I ran the end of term Christmas disco at school last week and organised and took part in the Wisbech Churches Together 'Walking Nativity' on Sunday. However, I have learned that building up ones strength and stamina after a major illness takes a lot longer than you think (or would like). I would like to be operating at full steam again. I'm feeling better! But it is taking a while to get back to full strength physically even if mentally I 'feel fine'. There are times I find I have to stop myself and take a break or I catch myself walking way too fast and find I'm getting out of breath.

If you cast your mind back to when I first told you I had cancer, I also announced that my wife and I were expecting the birth of our second child in January 2017, and the hashtag #2miraclesinthemaking was created. Well we have has one miracle and the second is just around the corner.

Verity's baby bump seems to be growing daily. It has reached the point where something is always aching. Our little one is a wriggler and can often move into uncomfortable and sometimes painful positions for Verity. Her ability to pick up things from the floor or carry anything has become seriously impeded, as it did during her last pregnancy. We technically have about 3 weeks until the due date now, but our little one could arrive at any time!

The nursery has now been decorated and awaits it's new resident. I am lookong forward to being daddy to a second little girl, and I am so grateful that I am able to be around to be part of her precious life.

So during this time of Advent, as we wait for Christmas to come - remembering the birth of Jesus, we wait and long for his coming back again, the McChlery's also wait expectantly for the birth of our 'protected one'.

Have a very Merry Christmas. Take this time to treasure the ones you love!


Comments

  1. Hi Matt thank you for your blog, the Tiredness thing was a big issue for me,so very hard to keep in check,but know you have to take notice, or your body will "Kick" you backwards again..God Bless you..Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob - it is certainly taking longer than I thought, but you are right, I have to take notice.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I always love reading the comments and thoughts of others. Please leave your comment in the section below. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Snot and Tears

Are You a F.A.T Leader?

Worship Setlist for the New Year