Ring the Bell!

The bell in the Chemo room at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn, UK
It seems I have been going through a lot of 'endings' recently, but entering into new beginnings at the same time.

A few weeks ago, I left a job I had been in for 14 years.

Yesterday saw another ending occur. I had my final top-up treatment session at hospital.

When you first hear the word 'cancer' and you feel as though the whole world is caving in around you, it is very hard to look years ahead into the future to the day when  you are cancer free and your treatment ends - and you get to walk away, pick up the pieces and to continue living this beautiful thing called life.

After walking a long road, I can now say that this particular chapter of my life has ended. A recent PET scan showed that the treatment has been successful and I am cancer-free with no trace of lymphoma in my body. Thank the Lord. Yesterday I got to say goodbye to the very dedicated and caring team of chemo nurses at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King's Lynn who have been there every step of the way, and have become friends.

As I left the treatment room, as is the tradition for survivors on the day their treatment ends, you ring the bell by the door (pictured above). A little silly some may think, but it is good to celebrate your successes and surviving cancer certainly is a success. At first I did feel a little silly ringing the bell, but as I rung it, it occurred to me that I wasn't just ringing the bell for me. I was ringing the bell for everyone else in the room too. Everyone else who was hooked up to their chemo treatments who were travelling the same journey as I had done.

Hearing the bell being rung from someone at the end of their journey gives hope and determination for those still running the race to continue, to keep going, to keep hoping, to keep praying, to keep on keeping on.

And I hope that this blog can do the same for those of you who are reading it who are also on a similar journey, whether it is a fight against cancer or whatever adversity you are facing.

I hope these words bring you some comfort, some hope and stir courage within you as I 'ring my bell' - I hope you can hear it and be encouraged to keep going.

I now close this chapter of my life and take a deep breath as I stretch out my hand, grasp the door handle of opportunity that God had placed in front of me and give it a tug...

Comments

  1. Fantastic news!! Looking forward to seeing what God has for you and your family in the future. God bless X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always love reading the comments and thoughts of others. Please leave your comment in the section below. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Snot and Tears

Are You a F.A.T Leader?

Worship Setlist for the New Year