Chemotherapy 4


I had my fourth chemotherapy session on Thursday. It was by far the worst one yet! Everything went according to plan, there were no complications or adverse effects. But this time I was not in a good place mentally.



In the days leading up to the chemo I now know what to expect. How the drugs affect my body. The draining of my energy. The nausea. The nose dive my quality of life takes each cycle. I also hate all the needles! Every time I go to he hospital or doctor I seem to be greeted with a jab in my arm - a blood test, a cannula, the boxes of daily injections they stock me up with to self medicate daily at home.

So I was not in my usual positive place. In fact even thinking about the treatment makes my stomach churn! Even now as a write about it.

It is amazing how powerful the mind is. Due to my 'down' mental state my experience of this treatment cycle was adversely affected. I came away feeling slightly more positive but not terribly so. I made it home and ate well. But in the night, the waves of nausea overcame me and had me on my knees in the bathroom vomiting into the toilet at midnight and then again at 5am. It makes sense - my body is trying to purge itself of the poisons that have entered it. Chemo seems to be such a counter intuitive treatment. Put something into the body to kill certain cells that will ultimately cure you.

The anti-sickness meds they gave me are working now, although at present my stomach still feels unsettled.

Up until this point I did not really have an understanding of those who give up on their treatment before it is over. Surely you know that in the end it is the right thing to do? But now, I understand! The emotional and mental toll the treatment takes on you is bigger than I anticipated. I am still trying to turn my mind around to face another 2 cycles of treatment. I am determined to go through with them, but it is not going to be an easy descent. Sometimes coming down the mountain is more difficult than the climb up it.

In more positive news, our mortgage application has finally come through and has been approved. So now we wait for the lawyers to get everything in order so we can move into our new house, hopefully soon.

Verity has her 20 week pregnancy scan coming up in a week or two, so that will be something to focus on and look forward to!

Thanks for reading and journeying with me through this difficult time.

#2miraclesinthemaking

Comments

  1. Matt, we continue to pray for your complete healing, but also for the strength to go through this process and allow God to do things his way. May he bless you both on the journey. Jan and Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear ! I missed your blogs as our church small group leader is battling a rare deadly thyroid cancer . I'm overwhelmed that you are also battling the C !
    Our little groups leader had a massive fast growing lump on his neck . Day before surgery we were told that the cancer was strangling his carotid artery which is the main artery to the brain. He had to undergo a heart bypass in order to remove the growth & chances were slim. We were devastated ! But at church the sermon series was on Esther. So we took the Esther cue & decided to FAST & PRAY through the operation . None of us has ever done this ! The operation started at 9am & was supposed to end at 9 pm. It was a working day & we buckled up to fast . Then some of us went to the hospital and waited. At 3pm we were told that the massive lump had MIGRATED to the chest & stayed at the muscle area there. No bypass was necessary said the Heart Surgeon on standby! Since it was now at the muscle area they could successfully remove all they could see! MIRACLE ! We were elated & joyful ! ( also we could now eat!).
    Matt - gather your friends for a regular fast & prayer! I will participate Singapore time !
    He loves you & wants to heal you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the support and love from Singapore!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I always love reading the comments and thoughts of others. Please leave your comment in the section below. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Snot and Tears

Are You a F.A.T Leader?

Worship Setlist for the New Year