Back in Hospital - but not for Long!


I was back in hospital again yesterday - although this time it was planned. I was in the Day Surgery unit having my stent removed.

Upon first discovering the very large tumour in my abdomen back in May, the doctors inserted a stent to allow adequate drainage from my left kidney. Stents have a limited life and need to be changed or removed after a few months. So this procedure was booked in for some time.


However ten days ago I had my results appointment with my consultant where he told me that I was in full remission and that all cancer cells in my body were now dead. I still have some scar tissue in my abdomen where the very large tumour used to be, but it is no where near as large as it was and it is no longer posing a threat to my kidney. So he was happy for my stent to be removed.

When I went for my pre-operation assessment last week they still had me down on their paperwork as needing a replacement. I let them know what the consultant had told me and suggested that the surgeon and my consultant have a discussion about what was to be done before my operation.

The day of the operation arrived and I had still not heard if I was having a removal or a replacement. When I arrived most of the team in charge of me had got the message from the consultant that I was having my stent removed. However one of the doctors was insisting I should have a replacement - until I stood my ground and he went to speak to the surgeon. Surprisingly it turned out that I was indeed right and a removal was definitely what I was having.

Due to this confusion the same chap then said that removals were usually done under local anaesthetic, not general. He went away and said things had been changed and that I was going to have a local anaesthetic. Although this option was far less appealing to me - as being awake while someone fiddles with your nether regions does not appeal - I accepted it. I kept telling myself that it could be far worse - I could be having chemo!

I walked to the anaesthetic room to be prepared for the operation. It was an interesting and slightly uncomfortable experience because as I walked in the room I heard 'Oh hello Mr McChlery. It's good to see you again. You used to teach my children!' - quite embarrassing due to the intimate nature of my procedure.

It turns out that I used to teach her daughter 8 years ago. I remembered her well and we had a good discussion about school and what her daughter was up to nowadays. As I was being wheeled into the operating theatre I had a dizzy sensation - then I blacked out! They had given me a general anaesthetic after all.

The operation did not last long and I was soon awake in the recovery room. Then through to the ward and eating a sandwich and drinking a cup of coffee - much needed due to the fact that I had to be on a strict fast all day in order to have the anaesthetic.

I was home again by early evening.

There is a slight ache where my stent used to be and going to the toilet stung a little. But all in all, everything is fine and I am on the mend.

Comments

Post a Comment

I always love reading the comments and thoughts of others. Please leave your comment in the section below. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Snot and Tears

Are You a F.A.T Leader?

Worship Setlist for the New Year