Songwriting behind-the-scenes


On TV in the UK recently there have been a lot of programmes about songwriting and many famous names and faces have been interviewed or have let the camera's into their lives so we can watch how the creative process of songwriting works for them. Although I have found the various programmes interesting and have also picked up a few tips as well as gained some fresh insights into other ways of doing things I hadn't thought of before, none has struck or impacted me more than the story of Diane Warren!

She is the most successful songwriter of all time! She has had 38 number 1 US hit singles. Her songs have been featured in over 100 Hollywood films. She has had more hits than The Beatles, Elton John and George Michael combined! She is the first songwriter to simultaneously have 7 songs performed by different artists in the US singles chart. Her songs have contributed to the sale of over 125 million records including 50 platinum-selling albums. I found this hard to believe (as I had never heard of her before), but as the story unfolded, things began to become a lot clearer . . .

Ok - so I hadn't heard of Diane Warren before, but as they played song after song that she had written, the light slowly turned on and I thought, 'Oh yeah, I know this one . . and this one . . . oh, this one is really good!' and so it went on. Songs such as 'Unbreak My Heart', 'Lost In You', 'Because You Loved Me', 'Rhythm Of The Night', 'Can't Fight The Moonlight', 'I Don't Want To Miss A Thing' to name but a few.

So for the last couple of days this has stuck with me. I have been trying to figure out why I am now so interested in Diane, and I think I have got to the answer. I think the main thing that impresses me most is that: I have never heard of her! The fact that she still lives in moderate obscurity even though she is vastly successful. She is a songwriter and is happiest writing the songs! Not performing them in front of millions of people or hearing her own voice on a CD. She is content with what she does - and does it gladly!
In the interview she said she hates giving interviews and being 'in the front' - she much prefers to be behind-the-scenes. Her talents have contributed to the success of countless artists - she is happy to share her gifts and talents.

So what does this mean for the Christian songwriter? I think we can learn a lot from Diane Warren:

1. Be happy and content with your place in The Body of Christ. If you are a songwriter - write the songs! Don't get hooked up on 'Only I sing my songs, no one else will sing them right'.

2. Be happy to share your songs with others. Encourage others to sing them instead of just yourself. Let your gits and talents contrubite to the succes of others.

3. Be happy to be behind-the-scenes. Get rid of the desire to be up-front and to be seen. Celebrity and fame have so saturated today's western culture we think it is normal - it is not normal! You should only be worried about what God thinks of you. So write your songs for God, please Him with the gifts given to you. Fame is fleeting and will only last a very short time, but done for God, it will last for eternity.

4. Try writing for a variety of gernes. Not just worship songs alone, but why not try writing a song about freedom and justice that a charity can use in an ad. campaign? Or about marriage? - Songs that still contain substance and will convey the truth of God's word and have a lasting impact on people's lives, just expressed in a different way?

So thank you Diane Warren for being who you are and for teaching me a thing or two about songwriting and about life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snot and Tears

Are You a F.A.T Leader?

Worship Setlist for the New Year